Eldest sister (37), nephew (3), middle sister (34)
Father, niece (6), Mother
A more casual fun picture. Look at those rock star glasses!I received the most exciting news last week. My birth family is trying to find me!!! It happened 9 days ago and I still can't believe it is true. Actually it all started on Friday the 20th. I came home early from work because I wasn't feeling well and listened to the answering machine. There was a message from a Katie Booty (which I now know is spelled Boody) for a Jennifer Medin. I thought to myself I don't know a Katie Booty, but I will call her back. So I called back and her answering machine came on and said, "Hi this is Katie Boody at Children's Homes Society and Family Serivces..." I just figured she wanted me to volunteer or mentor again so I left her my day time phone number and didn't think about it again. Then on Tuesday morning she called me back and asked if I could talk. I said "yes". She then said, "Your birth family is trying to contact you." My eyes started welling up immediately and as she was telling me that they sent letters and pictures I was almost to my hypervenalating crying (for those of you who have seen me cry, I sometimes forget to breathe and then hyperventalate). During this, I could hear my three co-workers get out of their chairs and stand behind me. In between the tears, I was trying to say things like "oh this is so exciting" and "I can't believe it is true" so they didn't think someone had died. Katie went on to tell me that I could come to the agency and pick up the letters and pictures. I take the bus so I was trying to figure out a way to get on a bus, get to my car, drive to St. Paul and get back to work. I hung up the phone and turned around and told my co-workers that my birth family had found me! They were so excited and immediately said "team outing!!!" I first went into a conference room and called Adam, my mom and dad and then we all hopped in the car and drove to St. Paul. While I met with Katie, they waited outside. Katie recapped some of what was in the letters and also talked to me about the process. I thanked her and also told her she must have the best job ever. We left the agency and all sat in the car while I read the letters. We all cried except for one-and you know who you are :). It has been a super emotional and exciting past week and a half. I sometimes think of it and can't believe this miracle has happened.
I wrote a letter and sent some pictures. They are in the process of being translated and then I hope to set up a phone call. Adam and I have already talked about going to Korea in spring 2010. What an adventure and it is only the beginning! More updates to come...

No comments:
Post a Comment